Treasurer, TCI South Florida
- Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity
- Corporate Governance and Structure
Mary Carroll is a shareholder in the corporate group and chairs Akerman’s Miami Corporate Practice. She possesses significant experience in a wide variety of complex legal transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, recapitalizations, private equity and venture capital investments, complex joint ventures and equity financing partnerships and related general
corporate matters. She has represented general partners, private equity funds, entrepreneurs and private and public companies in a variety of strategic and financial transactions, as well as general corporate governance matters. She joined the firm in 2000.
- Brockway Moran & Partners
- Cardo Medical
- The Frost Group
- The Hackett Group
- HEICO Corporation
- H.I.G. Capital
- Ideation Acquisition Corp.
- Kitson & Partners
- MBF Healthcare Partners
- OPKO Health
Notable Client Work
- The Frost Group – Represented the interests of Philip Frost, M.D. and certain affiliates in the merger of Froptix Corporation and Acuity Pharmaceuticals, Inc., two ophthalmic drug development companies, with a publicly traded shell corporation, now known as Opko Health.
Also represented The Frost Group in investments in and reverse public shell mergers with Winston Pharmaceuticals, a drug development company focused on pain management, and Cardo Medical, an orthopedic and spinal medical device company.
- Kitson & Partners – Represented real estate developer partner in joint venture formation and acquisition of the Babcock Ranch, one of the largest land transfers in Florida history.
- CarePlus Health Plans – Represented sellers in sale of a Medicare HMO, medical centers and a pharmacy to Humana.
- Physicians Healthcare Plans – Represented sellers in sale of a Medicaid HMO to AmeriGroup.
- All-Interior Supply – Represented shareholders in sale of the company to a subsidiary of USG Corporation.
- H.I.G. Capital – Represented fund in its acquisition of Accupac, Inc.
Published Work and Lectures
Author: “Working With the Locals: Some Hints for Setting Up a Deal Halfway Around the World,” Business Law Today, Vol. 13, No. 3, January/February 2004
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
- Dade County Bar Association
Prior Professional Experience
- Sidley Austin – Chicago, Illinois
- Camillus House Young Leaders
- The Commonwealth Institute
- Northwestern University School of Law, South Florida Admissions
- Put Something Back Foundation
- DCBA e-Mentoring Program
- 1998: J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, cum laude, Order of the Coif, Northwestern University Law Review, Articles Editor
- 1990: B.A., Loyola University, New Orleans, summa cum laude, Cardinal Key Award for Outstanding Female Graduate